Friday, July 15, 2005

progress report

I've had here in LA a "busy summer" break so far, whatever that means. I'm tutoring waaaay more than I thought I would be, like 8 hours a week, which is NOTHING when you compare it to full-time-job and EXCELLENT when you consider it is my only income but also TIRING driving from home to home to home. I've gotten to taking a good book with me when I go out because I have to allocate lots of time to driving (hate LA) and inevitably arrive sometimes early and THERE IS NO GREATER THING than leaning back the driver's seat, rolling open the window, and reading a book. I have gotten a great many stares from weirded-out residents, but hey. I don't care.

I've also subbed a few times at Camp Simcha, which is great to do once in a while. Day camp is SO TIRING, completely more tiring than sleep-away camp, because there are no rest-hours or counselor breaks during the day. You are outside in the sun, pretending to control kids who don't have any rules (it's summer camp! no rules!), while also trying to be REALLY peppy and cheerful. I've done CITITITIT with Ariel where we hiked Runyan Canyan and went to a fire station (fucking awesome), gone to the YMCA and swam in the bathtub pool, taught mini-golf to kindergardeners, tie-dyed, and developed a crush on a counselor who may or may not be a) gay b) out of high school.

Other summer activities enjoyed have been painting my room blue, painting mom's study green, buying and watching my father assemble a LOVELY bookcase from IKEA, visiting Haley and baby Charlie in Fullerton, and renewing the registration on my car. I've read a whole lot of magazines and watched a whole lot of RENO 911 (HILARIOUS) and The OC. I've done fake-tanner twice now, and plan to do it before Ramah visitors' day on Sunday. Also, I am, of course, meeting all the hundreds of people I know in this city. Last week at Jamba Juice I totally bumped into the parents and sister of this girl I grew up with but then lost touch with a few years ago and even though her family lives ONE BLOCK from my parents and I've laid out in their backyard, I pretended I didn't recognize them and kept my sunglasses on the whole time. I don't think they even had a CLUE it was me because since high school, my hair and my boobs have both grown. Plus I was wearing my really big rock star shades.

This coming week should prove just as "eventful" as the last, including but not limited to activities such as: seeing King Tut at LACMA with Glenda and 6th grader Josh Conway, pajama party at Beautiful Matt's house, Planned Parenthood, visitors' day at Ramah, and some more tutoring. Actually, all that is happening THIS WEEKEND. I tell ya, I am a BUSY GIRL.

No comments: