Tuesday, August 30, 2005

professors who know

Quotes of Christina DeMaria Penfield, copied from my notes of SOC/TEP 117: Language, Culture, and Education senior year:

"When you think about Hernstein & Murray and the evil power, you think of the glowing light of four-oh Kazo."
explaining a beloved teacher at Bryn Mawr who gave every student an A

"I was a lawyer, but it was so....mind-numbingly...painful..."
on her former occupation

"It would be a sad, sad day if there was no bread at Vons."
commentary on an IQ test question that asks what you should do if you go to the store to buy bread but there is none.

"Who decided dinosaurs are for boys and butterflies are for girls??? Someone at the Baby Gap, I think."
gender socialization

"It's like if they had a house, and you took over their house, and said, 'OK, now this is my house, and you can live in the bathroom.'"
explaining Native American "immigration."

"Everyone melts into what? Velveeta?"
re: America's "Melting Pot."

"During the day, you act like Velveeta, but then when you go home, you're...whatever you were...a kidney bean, say."
accomodation as opposed to assimilation

"You lose a finger, it's not worth much. I mean, it's worth less than you pay for books for one semester! Like, your left pinky is worth 1200 bucks...I mean, it's sad. You can't buy another one for 1200 bucks."
on medical malpractice

"Sometimes the group name are not so innocent, like this groups is the Soaring Eagles, this group is the Brown Birds, and this group is the Swooping Vultures."
elementary grade ability grouping, and why kids can always figure out if they are the "smart" kids or the "not-so-smart" kids.

"I can't tell you how many papers I still have. I mean, we say we throw them away, but really, they're in my house."
on old final papers

2 comments:

ChristineX said...

Good to know someone is listening.

CDP

Anonymous said...

SOMEONE WAS GOOGLING THEMSELVES!!

(No seriously you were one of my favorite teachers.)