Saturday, September 10, 2005

PERU DAY 10

Last night I slept in a delicious, delicious bed. The moment I burrowed under the thick alpaca-wool blankets, I was drowned in a slumber so heavy I did not stir all night -- even as one of our roommates talked in her sleep and the club-crowd partied under our window. I was eventually woken at five am by Wade and went to take a splendidly scalding hot shower.

We take a six-hour bus ride to Puno through rolling hills and flat pampas. Interestingly, we are in the middle of the Andes, yet the land is flat. We pass many an alpaca farm -- or are they llamas? I must learn to tell the difference. We also pass a farm with an ostrich. I remark aloud that I group ostriches and llamas in the same category, despite one being a bird and one a mammal. They both have long necks and legs and fat bodies. Wade quite astutely points out that ostriches only have two legs. I fall silent.

In Puno, we buy bus ticket out to Cuzco for the following evening. We treat ourselves to "Royal Class," which promises fully reclining seats and two bathrooms. We choose seats in the front row of the second story. The balcony, if you will.

No comments: