Wednesday, October 12, 2005

education is not always FAIR

I can't tell if it's a good sign or a bad sign that either I or one of my teammates cry in every class we are in. Either we are forced to share a very personal and meaningful experience, or we are forced to share a very personal and painful experience, or we are forced to watch a video of a stranger share a very personal and emotional experience. Am I in the right course of study?

I have been blessed to be born into a family and community that values education. I was fortunate enough to attend excellent schools that were well-stocked with resources and teachers. I am fortunate that my schools did not have to follow mandated educational programs, and could be more flexible with curricula and teaching strategies. I do not have a single memory of inadequacy.

I am reminded constantly in TEP that there are thousands of students who have inadequate schooling. Many will not get individualized teacher attention, their own textbook copy, or watercolors to paint with, like I did. Many will not be driven by teachers to take challenging courses that prepare them for higher education. Most do not have educational role models in their own homes. In the school I am observing, nearly 90% of the homes are Spanish speaking. Parents are unable to help their children with English homework. Students are judged by their achievement tests. When I think about all the opportunities and resources that I have been afforded, I can’t imagine NOT using them to better those who haven’t.

No comments: