Thursday, October 26, 2006

fourth day

This week has been Red Ribbon Week, which is code for Don't Do Drugs Week, and today we made (really ugly) posters about what we could do instead of drugs. I first let my students share opinions about drugs, which here included cigarettes and alcohal. I didn't think they would have such colorful stories -- they are, after all, seven and eight years old. I was utterly surprised. One student rambled on about her neighbor who is "on crack and she walk around the block with no clothes on and my mama be telling me that she crazy and on drugs." Another student informed us that smoking in the car is bad even if the windows are open, because "the smell stays in the cushions." There came a point in the conversation that I realized my students were much more educated than I about drugs, and this was when a girl started describing how her daddy's friend "smokes a fat one, it's called a blunt."


In other news, today at recess I was told that my hair looks like a clown. This is not the first time.

No comments: