Tuesday, October 24, 2006

second day

Today on my way to work I did not see any hookers (alas!) but I did see a dead dog in the street. Which even I, a non dog-lover, think is sad. But it got me thinking: Watts is such a magical place that I bet there will be a new surprise on Figueroa every morning. Maybe tomorrow there will be a water main leak! Or a turned-over orange truck! Twist my arm and I'll keep an annotated list in my car!

In other news, I had only eleven students in class today. It was brilliant. We did a very long community circle in the morning in which they got to share their Me Bags with the class (glorified Show and Tell). Everyone was positively mesmorized by the cheap McDonald toys their classmates brought in. We also played Killer, that game where you sit in the circle and one kid blinks at you and then you have to "die" a really loud and colorful death, and then another kid has to guess who the Blinker is before the rest of the students "die." I renamed it The Blink Game, to be culturally sensitive. So that when my UCLA supervisors come and visit, they will see that though I am not teaching my students anything academic, at least I am not making them feel bad about their lives. After all, it could have been their dog.

No comments: