Sunday, November 12, 2006

new goal

My goal is to get back on top.

I've always been at the top of my game. That's not to say that I get the best grades or the most money, but rather I do things more efficiently or more organized than others. In high school and college, it was that I actually knew and understood the material better than my classmates. At camp, I was prepared more in advance than any others. And in life, I am (generally) more organized. Some would call this Type A personality, others might call it Anal Retentive, still others refer to it as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Whatever. What matters is that usually I have everything worked out, both mentally and physically.

Not so much recently.

The being-a-new-teacher thing really threw me for a loop, because there was so much that I couldn't prepare for, just because I had NO idea. No idea what to expect, therefor no idea what to prepare. I was just on the verge of understanding the rhythm and demands of fifth grade when I was switched. It has taken three weeks with third grade to get a feel for their rhythm. Now I can work with it.

My goal is to get back on top, to have a handle on what I do every school day, to anticipate what I need to prepare every week, to add to and improve my classroom systems (instead of creating them anew). I need to get back to who I really am, which is the best. And not in the unhealthy way of September, when I was trying beyond what was required and beyond what was expected and beyond what I could reasonably do. I can get back to being the best piece by piece, day by day, idea by idea.


And I'm going to start by getting off my lazy ass and writing my (past-due) UCLA paper.

Ed note: Oops, I mean after I search Blogger for all my past boyfriends to see if they have websites.

No comments: