Monday, July 02, 2007

Stayok Rotterdam

Rotterdam is kind of an ugly city. It was all bombed during WWII, on account of their huge port, so there aren't any Renaissancey or Gothicy buildings. The streets are paved with asphalt and there are many boxy, unadorned high-rises. It's like Los Angeles.

But Los Angeles doesn't have a Stayok hostel, which is a fab place to be if you are in Rotterdam for the evening. This Stayok is related to our castle Stayok, although there is no moat and no coat of arms. We manage.

FIRST, we claim beds and lie staring at the ceiling for several minutes, catching our respective breaths and enjoying the uniquely comfortable Stayok mattresses. NEXT, we take bets on whether or not our roommates are Asian. (They are.) THEN, we separate and my mom drinks tea in the "kitchen" while I stuff my face with Belgium chocolate in the TV lounge. TV!!! I believe I intended on reading my book about the Dutch girl on a pirate ship but was sucked into Wimbledon on the boob tube. I have never been interested in tennis, but I AM interested in Serena William's fashion decisions, and thus watched several games (or matches? or sets?) between her and some skinny blondish chick. And then the men's game got rained out. Boo hoo. At some point, my mom came in and we planned our next day. LAST, we fell asleep to the gentle pitter-pat of the Dutch rain on the window.

No comments: