Monday, November 26, 2007

he also can't stop fidgeting to save his life

Just a quick note to let you know that I've been wearing the same pair of jeans since Wednesday, I've eaten half a (ginormous) bag of M&Ms while finishing eight report cards, and I've been laughing out loud at commercials since six pm. Oh, and that when I got home today, I lay down on my couch to make a phone call and woke up an hour later. That's why I'm awake this late.

A third grade anecdote: Victor is one of my favorite students because he designs his own curriculum. Not, like, as in submitting lesson plans or anything. But there's the lesson that I've prepared and am giving the entire class, and then there's the stuff that Victor is working on at his desk. Or on the rug. Or on the floor with a pile of chewed-up pencils and a picture of a rat.

The students were giving quick oral reports on a project that they just finished, but it turned out to be not so quick since once they stood up, not a single student remembered what they had done in the past thirty minutes. Each group, upon taking their place at the front of the class, began a feverish, whispered huddle to determine who was going to say what. It goes to show how undeveloped their brains are that even the third group was unprepared, like COULDN'T YOU THINK WHILE PRETENDING TO LISTEN TO THE OTHERS???

We're waiting impatiently when Victor, from the far corner of the room, looks straight at me, cocks his eyebrows, and says loudly, "So...I guess I'll read while we're waiting?" He picks up the copy of Harry Potter sitting on his desk, opens it up, and adds, "Good thing I've got a book here, huh!"

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Awesome! I wish that I could just pick up a book and read while I wait for THEM sometimes...