Monday, February 11, 2008

gotta go

Hai!!!

Oh, me?! I've been great. Happily experiencing my first bladder infection. It's been tons of fun.

Friday afternoon while driving home from work, I got THE URGE. I had just gone to the bathroom before I left, and I'm not one of those pee-every-hour girls, so I thought it was kind of weird, but whatever. When I got home and actually tried to go, and only a paltry few drops came out, I suspected UTI and called my mom. She advised I wait a little longer before going to the doctor. Then I tried to go to the bathroom several more times. Totally not normal for me -- I'm used to going three or four times a DAY. Which is probably what got me into this mess in the first place.

One hour later, I was peeing blood. Very scary. I jumped in the car to visit Kaiser. Nothing hurt yet, just kind of uncomfortable.

I took a pee test immediately but the nurses said it would be forty-five minutes before I could get the results, so I went to the bathroom a few more times. You know, for something to do. Actually, it was starting to hurt and I figured I may as well just hang out on the toilet, instead of getting up and going back in every five seconds. While in the handicapped stall is when I texted all my girlfriends for sympathy / advice.

Tova the med student came through for me, what a champ. She recommended that pill with pyridium, the one that makes your pee red. I checked out the Kaiser pharmacy, like, immediately, but THEY WERE OUT!!!!

Fucking A.

The next twenty minutes were torturous, as the infection got worse and worse (like exponentially by the second), and in the end I was in so much pain and discomfort (couldn't even stand or sit still) that I left Kaiser and drove to Longs Drugs a few blocks away to purchase pyridium tablets. I opened the box and downed a pair of pills in the aisle of the store, I was so desperate. By the time I had paid, returned to Kaiser, and re-checked in with Urgent Care, the meds had started working. When I finally saw the doctor I didn't need to pee anymore, and when my prescription was filled (an HOUR later, grrr) and I went home to eat dinner it didn't hurt at all, and the next morning it even felt ok to pee!

Pyridium = magic. Always have some on hand, seriously. And take one BEFORE seeing the doc for antibiotics. And never have sex again, ever.

No comments: