Sunday, October 19, 2008

Muslim does not equal Terrorist

Colin Powell on Obama:

"Well, the correct answer is, he is not a Muslim, he's a Christian. He's always been a Christian," he said. "But the really right answer is, what if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer's no, that's not America. Is there something wrong with some seven-year-old Muslim-American kid believing that he or she could be president? Yet, I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion, 'He's a Muslim and he might be associated terrorists.' This is not the way we should be doing it in America."

I have been waiting three months for someone to say this. The anti-Muslim sentiment in America echoes the anti-Japanese feelings of WWII and frankly, the antisemitism in Europe pre Holocaust. I'm a little disappointed that Obama hasn't brought this up, in response to all the flak that is pointed HIS way, but I can understand that the words, "What is wrong with being a Muslim" coming out of his mouth would be skewed and used in a commercial against him. I'm relieved that Powell finally brought this up. His words carry a lot of weight.

No comments: