Thursday, November 13, 2008

I emailed Obama!

I teach sixth grade at a newly opened school devoted to social justice and community engagement. For the first two months of school, we talked about the elections a lot. We taught about the electoral system, women's suffrage, the Democratic and Republican party platforms, and the issues that face voters today. I have never before seen children so enthusiastic about politics! Students came to school every morning reporting the latest news item. Many watched the presidential and vice-presidential debates, and a few even took notes! Campaign buttons appeared on shirts and backpacks. We held a mock election using official sample ballots and real voting ink machine. (Obama won, overwhelmingly.)

In the week since the election, our students have declared they want to learn about taxes and gay marriage rights, two issues that were on the front pages here in California. We've also assured them that we will broadcast the inauguration in school in January. I am proud to have been involved in such a meaningful election. It has been a joy to see my students become so excited about civics!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I teach in a very right wing republican school and you should have seen the long faces the day after the election. I tried to be impartial when I spoke about the election process, but I kept getting stymied by "but Sarah Palin is just sooooo cooool!!!"

I just wish I had your experience.

Rebecca said...

Isn't it amazing how our kids are getting involved? I work in an inner city school and my kids started tagging "Obama" over the gang graffiti. Sure, I'd prefer they not use graffiti at all, but hey, it's a start!

Glad I found your blog. :)