Thursday, July 30, 2009

post trip

I had yet another McDonalds soft serve.

Outside the restaurant was a tall tree COVERED with lorakeets, and their screeching could be heard from blocks away. It sounded like seven cars screeching to a halt at the same time, continuously. Under the tree, you couldn't hear yourself think.

I met the German boys at Mindil Beach Sunset Markets. Imagine The Farmers Market late at night, but cooler. There were booths of every type of food imaginable. There were booths of clothing and crap like sarongs or keychains made out of kangaroo balls. The theme of the night was FOOD. I got Thai sticky rice with mango (delish and only in season in the summer so I should really get on that when I get home), tapioca balls with peanuts (gross), and rice cakes with palm suger (what we ate daily in Thailand). I also sampled McGuyver's shake, Oliver's churro, and got my own pina colada. Hendrik finished all of those for us when we were stuffed. He is a vacuum cleaner. (He said of the 'roo sausages the other night, “I was eating dinner. Everyone else was just eating a snack.”)

Feet and legs sore, we drudged home. I took an all too brief ride in a shopping cart. We ended up at the Meleluca bar, where the boys had been staying. After several pictures of beer, we played I Never and the hand slapping the table in the correct order game. We tried to play 11 22, but Daniel couldn't get the clapping and snapping rhythm down, much less answer with his number. FYI the rhythm goes like this: lap, clap, right snap, left snap. Oliver used his mosquito bite heat machine on me. Then they walked me to my hostel and we all traded emails and blogs. The three big boys (Ollie, McGuyver, and Daniel) will be in Los Angeles in a few weeks and I promised them I would play tourguide. It was sad to say goodbye.

No comments: