Tuesday, September 22, 2009

goals

I am having some difficulty with my co-teacher this year. She is fresh out of Teach for America, an organization I have several issues with. Girlfriend has a lot of energy, a lot of enthusiasm, but again, has only taught "the TFA way." We are having some trouble collaborating and I thought I'd think out loud here. These are my non-negotiables.

Student skills:
  • Complete a list of assignments on their own. (Managing their time.) (Hence the WTS)
  • Talk thoughtfully about books they are reading. (Lit circles)
  • Enjoy reading.
  • Work in a group to produce a physical product.
  • Work in partners or in a group to get work accomplished. (Know who to ask for help and who to avoid.)
  • Be part of a discussion about events in literature or history. Be critical. Defend arguments.
  • Be familiar with History Alive! curriculum, including previews, note taking, and processing exercises. (Use in 7th, 8th grade)
Teacher wants:
  • Minimal and shared xeroxing (I xerox for you, you xerox for me, we both try to save paper.)
  • Minimal and shared grading (I grade for you, you grade for me, we throw stuff away when it doesn't inform our teaching.)
  • Use teacher materials whenever applicable (It is not always worth it to create a prettier/organized/comprehensive worksheet. Are students getting the practice they need?)
  • Neither of us stressing out about workload.
  • Our classes are run similarly enough that one teacher could sub in for the other without having the period wasted.
I can give up:
  • I don't care what is on the WTS as long as it addresses the topics we decided for ltp and as long as I don't have to make worksheets.
  • End of chapter history tests. (I still want to give some sort of quiz.)
  • I don't care what their Lit circle projects are, as long as they address the skills above.
  • Cumulative tasks for each history unit. Open to new ideas here. We just can't do them all, though. Must also consider if they are necessary. (Already listed in ltp.)

No comments: