Thursday, October 22, 2009

unvent

In the interest of my mental health, I've composed a list of POSITIVE things about my school.
  • Sixth graders are hilarious in that they try to act like teenagers, but fail miserably. When you watch them working at their tables, they are still little kids.
  • I love ancient history.
  • My co-teacher is full of great ideas and has a wealth of curricular knowledge.
  • I get snack and lunch delivered every day, and I don't even have to carry cash. It is automatically deducted from my paycheck.
  • We have a cleaning crew come in to vacuum and do trash. We just hired someone to breakdown tables and chairs and set them back up for us.
  • We have unrestricted wireless internet. I can show YouTube clips to my students. I can play music via Pandora.
  • We use google for our school email / calendar / docs. It is brilliant and easy. I can gchat with other teachers at work.
  • I can use the copy machine whenever I want.
  • I have air conditioning and heating in my classroom, which I control.
  • My school purchases paper and pencils and markers and glue and all manner of supplies for us. We have a budget with which to purchase additional materials. Last year, I did not pay for a single thing out of pocket.
  • We are encouraged to plan interesting and meaningful field trips for the school. The process is simple -- you ask the principal. If he says yes, you get to go. There is no complicated form or long waiting process.
  • It is five miles from my house.
  • I can basically teach whatever I want in my class. No one is keeping me to a pacing plan or even checking up on what the kids are learning. I decide which texts to use and which tests to administer, if any. I could do a read aloud for the whole class period for a week, and no one would say anything.

This last one is what I have to keep remembering. It's one of the main reasons I was so happy to leave LAUSD and come here. While other aspects of our programming need tuning, and some staff members act like assholes, I am still treated

No comments: