Wednesday, December 09, 2009

green is the new lazy

I am proud to report that this month, after living in my apartment for almost two and a half years, I finished my first package of paper towels. (Package = six rolls, which works out to about one roll every five months.) I try to use washcloths to clean and dishtowels to wipe my hands whenever possible. This makes me feel better about creating less waste, plus I got to buy all these colorful kitchen linens.

The paper towels probably would have lasted even longer, except a certain man I used to see would use one to clean his face every time he came over. Which is really weird, when I think about it. Before it used to bug me that he would leave this crumpled up wad on my counter, but now I realize that was the least of his flaws.

Also: I have not taken any plastic shopping bags since Rosh Hashana. I either stash stuff in my purse or bring reusable bags. Once I stopped at Trader Joes unprepared and to honor my pledge, I just bought a new reusable one. (It had pirates on it, so it was a win-win.) When I bought a (fantastic) coat on the fly, I just draped it over my arm and walked it to my car. Imagine! Expending energy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have all the kids read the same book so you can discuss it, or do you have them all pick different ones and discuss one on one? I need help getting a remedial freshmen English class to actually enjoy reading....

I'm trying to remember what teachers did to make me love reading-the only thing I remember is having them read to us.

K.