Friday, July 22, 2005

Super DJ Deens' lineup

So last night, Benja took me and Alyssa (and eleven other random chicks WHERE DOES HE MEET THESE PEOPLE) to this place called the Cabana Bar. The Cabana Bar is one of those schmancy A-list LA clubs where you have to be on a list to get in and then you have to be on a seperate list to get comp-ed. Obviously Benja isn't on any of these lists but knows all the people working the door and so we got in for free without a fuss.

Let me preface the next part of the description by explaining that the Cabana Bar opened on July 7 with Jessica Simpson's birthday party. Last night Ashlee Simpson, Wilmer Valderama, and Kanye West were in attendance. That's the kind of place this is.

IT SUCKED.

Everyone there had this "I'm too cool for school" attitude. The girls were PUSHY with their elbows and shoulders and pointy cowboy boots (I am so not into that fad) and it took us THIRTY MINUTES to get a drink at the bar. The whole club was outside with a tiny winding pool and these little VIP cabanas around the perimeter. Which was cool, except for it was too crowded and again, let me mention the pushy girls. Usually it's the guys who are big and broad and when they walk by they brush up against me. But last night I SWEAR there was something in the air and the females were absolutely AGGRESSIVE. Bitches.

Plus the music sucked. The DJ was Samantha Ronson, who is apparently famous and good and just signed to Rock-a-fella music, but we hated her. She barely played anything new, and I would say that every other song was something I have never heard of.

So then I got to thinking, if I were DJ, what would be on my playlist?

1. At least one song by the Jackson 5 and one song by Michael Jackson from the examples below:
  • ABC
  • I Want You Back
  • It's Your Thang (Do What You Wanna Do)
  • You Rock My World
  • Man in the Mirror
  • Black or White
  • Bad
  • The Way You Make Me Feel
  • Thriller
2. At least one Britney Spears song
3. One song by a boy band that is no longer popular. Acceptable boy bands:
  • N*Sync (Space Cowboy, Bye Bye, Digital Get Down, Pop)
  • 112 (Dance with Me, Peaches and Cream)
  • B2K (Bump Bump Bump, Girlfriend)
4. One song by Lauren Hill, from before she lost her shit
5. 2-3 Old School faves, from the Bar Mitzvah era. Examples:
  • Insane in the Membrane
  • Ain't Nothin' but a G Thing
  • Come Baby Come
  • Jump
  • Shoop
  • Gin n' Juice
  • Informer
  • Regulate
  • Rumpshaker (All I Wanna Do)
  • Baby Got Back
6. 2 songs from the mid-late 90's, including:
  • California Love (2Pac)
  • Once Again (Tribe Called Quest)
  • Zoom (Dr. Dre and LLCoolJ)
  • E.I. (Nelly)
  • Baby I Got Your Money (ODB)
  • Ghetto Superstar (Wyclef)
  • Stayin' Alive (Wyclef)
  • Joints n' Jams (Black Eyed Peas)
  • What's my Name (Snoop)
  • Boombostic (Shaggy)
  • the Punjabi song
7. Absolute MUST PLAYS every single night:
  • Party Up (DMX)
  • Love Like This Before (Faith Evans with the remix)
  • You Can Do It (Ice Cube feat. Mack 10)
8. A few of the hot tracks from the last couple years, like:
  • Lean Back (Terror Squad)
  • Move Ya Body (Nina Sky feat. Jabba)
  • Jesus Walks (Kanye West)
  • I Like That (Houston feat. Chingy, Nate Dogg, I-20)
  • Birthday (50 Cent)
  • What's Love (Ashanti and Fat Joe)
  • Change Clothes (Jay-Z)
9. And then, of course, whatever is hot at the current moment (that I like). At this current moment right now, that would include:
  • Lose Control (Missy Elliott feat. Ciara and Fat Man Scoop)
  • Feel Good Inc (Gorillaz)
  • Hate it or Love it (The Game feat. 50 Cent)
  • So Seductive (Tony Yayo feat. 50 Cent)
  • Give Me That (Webbie)
  • Baby I'm Back (Baby Bash)
  • the Fandango-Hangover song that we can't figure out who sings
  • the Snoop song with the Wooee title

No comments: