Tuesday, August 09, 2005

carded

A few days ago, I went to see Wedding Crashers with Hillary on her day off. I walked up with her to the ticket booth, and she pulled out her JTS student card to get the lower price. I remarked to her that I couldn't get my new UCLA card in time to take it to Peru and get all the student discounts. Then I was called to the next ticket counter.

I asked for one ticket to Wedding Crashers at such-and-such time, and the woman asked me for my ID. I didn't remember asking for the student price, but I might have, so I said that I didn't have one yet. Only, I didn't just say it, I sort of whined it. I was thinking, I didn't intend to get the student discount, but if I can get it, GREAT! But the woman looked at me sternly and said that she couldn't give me a ticket if I didn't have an ID. I didn't understand-- why couldn't I just pay the regular price? She restated that she needed a photo ID in order to sell me a ticket. I suddenly realized that she meant my DRIVERS' LICENSE, to show that I was old enough to see a rated-R movie. Embarrassed, I pulled it out.

Only later, when sitting in the theatre, did I realize that I was carded. I am totally used to being carded for alcohol. Twenty-three can look a lot like twenty. But a MOVIE!??! She thought I looked younger than SEVENTEEN?!? Wow.

No comments: