Sunday, February 12, 2006

meet the parents

What an overwhelming weekend. Friday night we had dinner with my parents. I have never before brought a boy home to meet mom and dad. The thought of it still makes me uncomfortable, even though the event is over. And it's not that I'm worried for the Boy, he can totally hold his own. Actually, I love watching him interact with my people and my friends because he gets along with everyone so EASILY. Especially with the Shabbat Club boys, Ronnie and Ben-- I LOVE BOYS.

It's just that I don't like my parents knowing things about me, knowing how I feel. Because they know everything else about me, I'm really protective of my personal life. But I can't really hide anything these days. I'm constantly smiling and when we're together, I can't not touch him. Miriam has reported on more than one occasion, "It's like you share the same energy source." The old me would say that it is really pathetic, but the new me doesn't care and PDAs the hell out of her weekends.

(Side note--Dude, even cross-country skiing during the Olympics is exciting. The announcers totally sell it and make me care who wins the race. I'm such a tool when it comes to the Games.)

Dinner turned out fine, obviously. My parents love all my friends, and they especially love those friends who are Jewish and whose parents are involved in either the Jewish community or education (Jerm gets double points here) and good god, of COURSE they are going to love the friends who are MALE. J won over Aaron with his appreciation for the blue wall paint and just the fact that he is his older sister's boyfriend. And he watches Lost. Aaron and I share the same discriminating taste in our friends: they absolutely MUST watch our favorite TV shows. Everything else is gravy. The Jerm got another point because someone brought up the word "truthiness," a Bushism made up and popularized by Stephen Colbert. And then I gave him an additional fifteen points because I found out that he "did a little relaxing" with his neighbor before dinner because he was nervous, and I think that's cute. I pretty much think everything he does is cute.

And then we went home and watched THE OLYMPICS OPENING CEREMONY!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A REWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: