Monday, August 07, 2006

New Roommate woe

I guess I'm going to have to treat New Roommate like a China doll, because it appears as though I'm progressively breaking her soul with my every behavior. When I invited people over to watch a movie and didn't clear it with her first, I got an offended email. (I should have included her in the evite, I should have considered that she was having a stressful week at school and wouldn't want to return home to a living room full of people.) When she woke up in the morning and her long-awaited-for apple was eaten and in its place was a rotten specimen, I got an offended note*. (She has told us before not to eat her food, she doesn't have time to go grocery shopping very often.) When I asked her to clean up the glitter she left on the living room floor and couch last night, I got an offended personal request for apology. (I should have said Hello first, I should have given her a day to clean it up just like she gave me a day to move my shopping bags and to wash my dishes.)

This girl really has to realize that you give and you take when you live with other people. Sometimes you have to LET GO. Not everything is going to be up to your standards, because we all have different standards. I haven't said anything back except "sorry" because I don't want to do the whole tit-for-tat thing. In fact, the glitter request was the FIRST request I have made in the two monthes we've been living together. I was hoping that the hysteria would die down as we got closer as friends. But now, I wonder, when do the little things add up to become a bigger issue?

And also, leaving glitter on the floor is not the same as leaving shopping bags on the floor. Glitter gets stuck to shoes and feet and hands and books, gets tracked into other rooms, and is a bitch to wash off your hands. The dishes in the sink are sometimes hers.



*Sublet Roommate and I are sure that we did not eat her "last apple" and that either New Roommate ate it and forgot or left it to rot.

No comments: