Thursday, December 21, 2006

scrubs

I might have mentioned this before, but Scrubs is one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. And I'm pretty much an expert, seeing as I just finished watching my fifth episode today. (I really can't help it; it's on WGN and Comedy Central constantly.) I really can't get enough; I think about seven o'clock all day long. The thing about it is that even though it's a sitcom, it deals with situations and feelings that we've all had. Every episode centers around some issue that I've gone through in my life (and most I've gone through in the past two months). To wit:

  • When your best friend gets in a relationship and you are left behind
  • When a person you admire does something you absolutely can't condone
  • When you have to give up important things to be there for your friends
  • When the person you look up to doesn't pay you any attention
  • When your friend's life is moving forward but yours is stagnant
  • When something you really hope for doesn't come through
  • When you fuck up in front of someone important
  • When you fall for your best friend
  • When those feelings aren't reciprocated
  • When you are forced to choose between your significant other and career advancement
  • When you have to break up with someone you love because you just want different things
  • When you have a shitty day and nothing goes right
  • When you are forced to be cordial to someone who stabbed you in the back
  • When you fight with your best friend
  • When you're more into a relationship than the other person
  • When the new guy at work shows you up
  • When you have to kiss ass to someone you hate
  • When you mess up but don't want to admit you were wrong because of your pride
  • When you are ready to make up after a fight but the other person is still mad

Of course, there are also good moments in the show, but the reason I like it so much is that at the end of every episode, the main character learns the same lesson: These Things Happen. Shit happens from time to time, and it happens to everybody. And that's why I'm drawn to (obsessed with) the show. I like that message, because it's true, and it's reassuring to see that other people struggle with the same problems.

No comments: