Monday, March 17, 2008

Hawaii day one

First day in Hawaii, woo!

Landed at ten in the morning and oh! the humidity! Peeled off the layers of sweatshirt and socks from that frigid plane ride. My eyes are still bloodshot and stinging because guess who only got three hours of sleep last night? I guess I should have started packing before ten, since "packing" included doing laundry, transferring pictures from my camera to the computer, and cleaning my kitchen.

A nice old man took me in his cab from the airport to Wailea. Maui is waaay bigger than I thought. I was imagining it to be the same size as Ko Pha Ngan in Thailand, the island that we hiked across with our full backpacks because the ocean was too stormy to take a canoe. Nope, Maui has like actual cities and highways. Maui also has patchwork farms reaching from the ocean all the way up the sloping rise of dormant volcano. Rolling, green hills. My cab driver told me these crops are mostly sugarcane and onions, although they are looking to diversify. You can buy Hawaiian Sweet Onions at Trader Joes, fyi.

Once I got to Ischia's, I had to CHANGE AS FAST AS I COULD because it was Beach Weather. Apparently it rains here every few days, and those days are Do Nothing But Sit Inside And Complain Weather. So I got into my bathing suit lickety split (yikes! haven't been this naked in public since August!) and doused myself in my Israeli sun screen and slipped into a sundress. Then we raced to Wailea beach, which is right by the Four Seasons where Jessica Simpson and John Mayer broke up. You know that picture I'm talking about, admit it.

So we hung out on the beach and swam in the water and talked about how we wanted to go snorkeling tomorrow. The weather was perfect. The temperature hovered in the upper seventies, and clouds rolled across the sky. We were able to stay outside for a few hours without getting burnt. But then I got hungry and the Four Seasons kiosk was out of veggie sandwiches and bagels, and then I got cranky, so we left the beach and went to the mall. (We're so American.)

The highlight of the mall trip was finding a bag of CHOCOLATE FLAVORED SKITTLES. The different flavors are: S'mores, Vanilla, Chocolate Caramel, Chocolate Pudding, and Brownie Batter. The colors range from cream (vanilla) to dark brown (brownie batter). I will be bringing home several packages.

Come home, insert contact lenses, shower, get dressed, lament the fact that we will be missing the sunset because we have to stand in line for Happy Hour Half Price
Sushi. I kid you not. The line was one hundred people long and we were near the end. I took a picture. After gorging on rice and fish, we went to Foodland and I bought soymilk and cereal and crackers and cookie dough and an entire jug of SALTED NORI!!

We are now at home and all three of us are internetting and I think I will go to sleep as soon as this is done, even though it is only seven fifteen. We have a busy day of beaching and hot-tubbing tomorrow.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Maui might be one of my favorite places in the world. Mr. Mimi and I are heading back there soon too!!

Enjoy...mahalo