Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hawaii day two: more of the same

I woke up this morning after eleven hours of sleep. Lovely.

We sat around and internetted and discussed our mutual love for Barack Obama. Then we made quesadillas, bathed in sunscreen, and dressed for the beach. (In that order. I have to be completely naked to apply sunscreen lest I miss a spot near an edge.)

At the beach, we mostly sat around criticizing the older couple next to us who were positively BAKING. This man and women sat in their lounge chairs for four hours, shifting every so often to get the full sun's rays. They had neither umbrella nor hat. They were both red and leathery. Gross. We also took a dip in the ocean, but it got really windy, so we couldn't snorkel.

Upon returning home, I made chocolate chip cookies. We internetted some more (I can't tell you how awesome it is to be on vacation and be able to check my email.). Then we went to a crafts fair and I bought twenty white, dried starfish for my students. We also got to drink coconut juice out of a coconut. (I won't lie -- it tastes like cum.) We went home and watched the sunset. Also, we took several self-portraits wearing the matching painted-nut necklaces we bought.

Dinner at Spago! Fancy! I won't say much about the food, but I WILL mention the rash I developed after dinner all over my stomach. It's red and bumpy but not as bad as hives. I'm trying to figure out if it's a reaction to the sun or my sunscreen or the ocean or a combination of all three. Or perhaps I'm suddenly allergic to mushrooms? Wikipedia suggests it may be phototoxic dermatitus. Stay tuned!

No comments: