Saturday, April 05, 2008

first week of April

A million and one things have happened to me in the past two days.

First, on Friday, I was observed giving a writing lesson about revising for tense. I did a damn good job, and I thought my students were totally engaged and understood the task. In reviewing the lesson, my adviser told me (with mild surprise), "You're a really good teacher!" *Blush* It is not often that anyone tells me I'm doing a good job.

Ten minutes later, I had a phone conference with the mother of a student who just joined our class last week. The mom remarked that her daughter seemed really happy, and had told her that our class "is like a little family." THANK THE LORD I AM DOING SOMETHING RIGHT.

I have a strange backwards eye infection. For a few days now, I've been waking up with dry, red eyes. When I put in my contacts, the redness goes away and my eyes feel normal. Late in the evening, the irritation returns and gets even worse when I take out the contacts to go to sleep. My eye doctor has no idea what the problem is. (It is not pink eye; That was my first suspicion.)

Last night I slept over at the boy's house on his new bed and *sigh* it was lovely. Sleeping in your own bed all spread out like a starfish is nice, but so is curling up next to a big warm body that hugs you all night long.

Tonight my choir finished recording our album. It has been a LABOR OF LOVE. Since January, it's been choir this and choir that. Choir has somewhat cramped my social life, but you know what? I really enjoy myself while I'm there, and I've even made some good friends.

Like Lynn. Lynn is my doppelganger. Lynn is high energy, super sarcastic, and has no problem being silly with perfect strangers. Lynn is the one who dressed up as a chambermaid to our Tour of Hope dinner. Lynn read my palm tonight and discerned that I:
a) don't take good care of myself
b) am super creative and think of outside-the-box solutions
On both counts, she is absolutely correct.

Today's recording was particularly draining because my voice is shot from teaching (see above) and I didn't get that much sleep last night (see above) and my eye was bothering me (see above). Luckily, we were doing "Louisiana, 1927," which might be my favorite song this season. The music is gentle, the message heartbreaking, and the arrangement beautiful. In the middle of the fifth take I was overcome with emotion and started crying. I tried to suck it up and sing, but my voice was all wobbily and it made the tears come faster. After the sixth take I was a mess with blotchy eyes and runny nose and shaking with sobs. My second soprano mates took care of me, and I suffered only mild embarrassment.

Today and yesterday I had the chance to FINALLY wash my dishes and take out the trash from the past four weeks. I know that sounds absolutely disgusting, but keep in mind that there was no food on the dishes (I rinse every bowl before setting it in the shallow side of the sink, and the trash bags were tied up and shut in a cabinet. I just honestly haven't had any free time to walk thirty steps to the dumpster.

No comments: