Tuesday, November 03, 2009

dogs?

Something amazing about my students is that they can't seem to hear my teacher bell when I ring it and ring it and ring it and ring it, THAT LOUD CLANGING SOUND, they continue talking or working or walking aimlessly around the classroom, but the second the classroom phone whimpers out a pathetic, muted tone, like "...beep...," all twenty five ears perk up and alert me.

The other day I overheard two boys complaining about me, like why can't I ever hear the phone? And I laughed because of course I can't hear it, it's set to number two and you freaking students can't write your names without making commentary, but my bell? My bell is the loudest, most annoying bell sound, yet even when I am standing next to you with my hand on your shoulder, even when we are making eye contact, even when you are watching me shake that metal thing in my hand, you somehow fail to respond.

No comments: