Saturday, January 30, 2010

ego boost!

I went to an a capella show at UCLA with Rebecca tonight and we ran into the DOTs!!! I was sitting and listening to my neighbor chat about the workshops she went to that day, and started talking to her about singing. She asked which group I was in, and I told her I graduated but used to be in UCSD DOTs. She was like, WHAT THAT IS MY GROUP and I very proudly mumbled that I started it. Screaming ensued. She showed me her DOTs tshirt, and dragged me over to meet the rest of the girls. They were all super excited to meet me and I was super surprised that they knew who I was. (Even though my name and bio is still on their website. And I arranged several of the songs on their CD.)

After the show we said hi again and there was some mild hysteria. We took a picture together and they all told me how DOTs has changed their lives. I believe it. The pictures online make the group look like an awesome thing to be a part of, and I don't doubt that they have a lot of fun being silly and being girly. They had eighty girls try out last quarter. EIGHTY. That's a long way from 2001 when the five of us would meet in my dorm room and I would hum out parts and we had maybe three applicants when we did auditions.

They are performing at ICCA in two weeks and I'm so excited. That is big time. They are super happy and I am super happy and we had a love fest there in the ballroom of Ackerman Union. I am so proud to have started this group that has grown into something special.

No comments: