Friday, January 15, 2010

eh

I was directed to this awesome book review website but after paging through six months of reviews and only recognizing one book mentioned, I'm done before I started. The one, by the way, is Infinite Jest, which was oh so hot last summer but I just can't bring myself to care. Too many words.



BUT WAIT !

Redemption!?

Way back last April someone reviewed The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, one of the top three (adult) books I've ever read. I had borrowed it from Karen and was so sad to have to return it when I was done. I was hooked from the very first paragraph and couldn't stop talking about how much I loved it. The writing, the story, the image of that little dilapidated coal town in the Appalachians . . . the train track house in Arizona . . . mortification at seeing mom dumpster diving. That I even remember the narrator is female indicates quality. Every time I went to the RIP dollar bookstore to pick up lit circle sets I would spend time searching through that disorganized mess to find my own copy. Trying to be green, you know. This winter break I cut the crap and just bought my own copy.

Which is to say that this book is seriously hearted by me and the single paragraph "review" on this stupid site is fucking lame.

No comments: