Monday, June 11, 2007

it's called Myanmar now, duh

I had this incredibly realistic dream last night that I took a trip with Elisheva to Burma. I only found out that it was Burma when we landed. And asked the airline crew to check us onto the cruise we had planned on going on. Oh sorry, they told us, that cruise is booked solid. I was secretly happy because I'm secretly afraid of boats because I'm secretly, insanely phobic of vomiting, like maybe I'll get seasick and have to throw up.

So I tried to convince Elle that it was OK, that we could go to the local Rite Aid (? in Burma?) and buy a Lonely Planet Guide and plan our whole trip. Oh, and also pick up some Dramamine, just in case. We entered a huge, open-air convenience store. It reminded me of Sports Challet, or the UCLA bookstore. Except for they didn't sell Dramamine there, so I made the executive decision that we had to stay on land no matter what. Let me tell you, it was gorgeous. You could see the tall, bell-shaped mountains covered in thick foliage from the convenience store.

When we checked out, the cashier turned out to be my ninth grade physical science teacher, Mr. Ahad, who in real life was from Burma and talked about it all the time.


Waking up was kind of a bummer.

No comments: