Tuesday, May 19, 2009

the ides of May

Whoa, what a crazy week this has been. I got antibiotics, went on a three-day overnight with my school, had a field trip to LACMA, volunteered at a food bank, planned my summer vacation, and today finished the state standardized testing. And I can talk!!!

The illness, which thankfully has two feet out the door, was physically and emotionally draining. I've never been sick for so long before. Fourteen fucking days. Good riddance.

The overnight was a blast. I really saw my students in a new light as I couldn't stop envisioning them as Adat Shalom campers. They had so much energy and enthusiasm for being together. The girls were completely overwhelmed with their periods. I really enjoyed my assigned bunk and my nature group. Unfortunately, I had to miss the campfire, but I taught my group Eggs and they killed. I learned all about chaparral and lizards doing push-ups and sticky monkey flower and that mugwart is the antidote to poison oak. My stupid annoying coworker was on her Blackberry the whole time and I couldn't stop noticing.

Speaking of, today in the middle of the state tests, she walks into my absolutely silent testing room and interrupts the students to TELL THEM THE DEFINITION OF A MATH TERM. That was ON THE TEST. I am a thousand percent sure we are not supposed to define words on this exam. Not only did she give them the answer, but she explained her announcement by saying, "I'm telling you this because I didn't teach it to you. It wasn't in the curriculum." Well duh, that's the point. Standardized tests are as much a measure of the students' knowledge as they are of the teachers' teaching. It makes me wonder what other "help" she gave her students behind closed doors. Ironically, she is the testing coordinator for our school.

Summer travels will be to a country in southeast Asia. The ticket hasn't been booked yet, so I can't really spill. I'm psyched.

Let's finish with a quote from LOST:
"Great plan Moonbeam! Maybe after that we can sing Kumbaya and do trust falls!"

No comments: