Monday, February 01, 2010

flashback city

First, I had Friday night dinner and Celebrity party at Lynn's house with her friend Jones, and we figured out that he came and subbed for yoga at my school several months ago. He was memorable because the kids had been total shits up until then, and the two days that he came in he was whipping them into shape, and we were all wishing he could stay forever. Apparently he passed up the permanent job so the current teacher could take it. They are friends.

(Coincidentally, Jones is also the one who did the robot / puppet / vampire dance bit to Don't Stop Believing at Lynn and Stephen's anniversary LUV salon. I reenacted this skit to teach my students about theme. That was in November, a few weeks before the yoga switcheroo. It was during the reenactment that we discovered that Stephen (above) teaches karate to my favorite student Jordan.)

Then there was the DOTs thing.

Most recently (tonight), I was having dinner with Emily Shmemily and her fiance Michael, and we realized that he was my neighbor in college. Not like stranger neighbors who happened to live on the same street, but like neighbors whose roommates were best friends and who had been been in each other's apartment. Our windows were facing each other fifty feet apart. After having the whole conversation I can vaguely picture him on the stairs. No less embarrassing is that neither of us recognize the other. We've been hanging out since August.

No comments: