Saturday, February 06, 2010

rainy Friday

Last night I had dinner with W and then a sleepover and it was the nicest non-date I think I've ever had. First of all, his new apartment is way up in Topanga Canyon, so it was all peaceful and isolated and tree-house like, and the rain was pattering on the windows. The view from his living room is awesome because you can see across the whole canyon and it's all green and alive right now.

We had a Japanese dinner planned and my contribution of sushi was awesome even though I couldn't find sticky rice and used risotto instead. I just made avocado rolls but there is nothing so delicious as that mix of creamy avo and salty soy sauce and tangy ginger and warm rice. Yum.

W made a tofu salad that was the worst recipe he has ever not followed. The directions actually called for carrots and snow peas to be "chopped up into matchsticks," which I dutifully did. It was quite labor intensive and I complained appropriately. One of the final steps of the recipe was to put the chopped up carrots into the blender, thus rendering the matchsticking a complete waste of time. It was supposed to be a pate but owing to the fact that W didn't read the directions ahead of time and doesn't own a blender, it came out like chopped up tofu with some tiny pieces of carrot. No seasoning.

The other failed dish was some fancy potato and tamari thing that ended up just being mashed potatoes. It was decent.

So there was good sushi and mashed potatoes and a bowl full of broken tofu. We laaafffed about the awfulness because Wade is actually a good cook. We had mochi for dessert which made up for everything.

Then we watched the new LOST episode (me for the second time) and fell asleep and I am proud to report that I kept my pants and my sweatshirt on the entire time and no tomfoolery was had.

We are both good sleepers and spooned the whole night and I only woke up once to have my daily six am allergy attack and immediately fell back asleep and then got up at about ten thirty. The rain had stopped and it was sunny and misty all at the same time. Part of the boulevard was closed due to rocksliding in the night so I had to take the valley way out. It was beautiful.

No comments: